Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and nonchurch partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS has worked in Nigeria for more than 25 years.
BE THE FIRST TO GET LATEST JOB ALERTSEnter your email address to subscribe to latest Jobs notifications via your email
CLICK HERE TO JOIN OUR WHATSAPP GROUP FOR LATEST JOBS UPDATES
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Manager
Job ID: 2000008Y
Job Type: Full-time
Job: Program Management
Employee Status: Entry Level
Job Level: Day Job
- CRS Nigeria has been awarded the Borno and Adamawa Women Poultry Project by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) – Nigeria. This program seeks to develop and implement interventions that will sustainably increase women participation and production of poultry in Borno and Adamawa states by addressing challenges to poultry production and contribute to creation of livestock employment opportunities to improve participants’ living conditions.
- The specific purpose is to enable 7,000 vulnearble families- particularly female-headed households increase their income by producing and selling poultry and poulty products. This effort will contribute to CRS’ agriculture and livelihoods signature program area and ongoing efforts to promote resilience, recovery and development within Nigeria and neighboring countries around the Lake Chad Basin. Additional project details are contained in the table below:
- The Program Manager will provide technical leadership, guidance and capacity strengthening to Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) – Nigeria-funded Borno and Adamawa Women Poultry Project in the areas of agriculture- poultry based livelihoods and food security.
- The Program Manager will oversee project activities in Adamawa and Borno LGAs and report to the Project Manager.
- S/he will support the delivery of GIZ-Borno and Adamawa Women Poultry Project by working with vulnerable families – particulary female-headed housholds, women engaging in poultry livestock production/products or owners to increase their income by produing and selling poultry and poulty products from livestock value chains.
- The main goal and Key performance indicators will include the extent to which poultry livestock owners/Women Poutlry Producer Groups (PPGs) access and use sustainable public and private sector poultry livestock services; monetarize poultry and poultry products; and, diversify their reduce women’s vulenerability alienated from productive systems and limited economic activities in order to improve their living conditions.
- Focus areas will include improved poultry production practices and management, diversification of livelihoods through selling poutry and poutry products, technical support and management of hatchery farms, strengthening of poultry producer groups, Community Animal Health Workers (CAHWs), managing village savings and lending groups (SILC) and collective marketing of poultry products.
- S/he will liaise with relevant government ministries, other technical experts and agencies working in the field of poultry-based livelihoods/agriculture programs.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance in the assessment, planning and implementation of a poultry / livelihoods activities of GIZ Borno and Adamawa Women Poultry Project in Borno and Adamawa in collaboration with project partners and relevant government agencies.
- Work with public and private sectors to increase competitive poultry services including veterinary and poultry extension services for poultry producer groups.
- Ensure that poultry-based livelihoods related activities are implemented in accordance with CRS standards and approaches.
- Support poultry producer groups to increase quantity and quality of poultry production and poultry products through improved management techniques of poultry diseases and outbreaks.
- Support to establish and management of hatcheries.
- Support polultry producer groups to self-organize, to increase their financial, technical and organizational skills and to access financial services and products
- Under the direction of the Program Manager, lead the design and development of capacity strengthening strategies, approaches and tools to support Borno and Adamawa Women Poultry project partners and relevant government agencies in the area of conflict resolution, in mainstreaming gender and supported in coordination of project activities.
- Lead project capacity development of poultry producer groups, hatchery farmers, community animal health workers, social workers/case workers and marketing committees.
- Under the supervisoion of Program Manager II work with private sector partners to implement the market optimization and outreach model (MOOM).
- Lead the rolling out of SMART skills training to farmers to ensure group social cohesion, organization and management.
- Lead activities to improve access to input for poultry producer farmers including veterinary services, drugs administration and community animal health workers from public and private institutions.
- In coordination with the MEL Country Coordinator and MEL Officer, ensure timely and quality capturing of MEAL data on agricultural and livelihoods project components.
- Supervise and work closely with other project staff and with Justice Development Peace Commission (JDPC) to build Poultry livestock groups, Commununity Animal Health Workers.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual work plans, budgets, and technical reports on poultry project activities as part of the overall program planning and reporting cycle.
- Represent CRS in livestock forums
- Provide effective management, coaching and support to Project Officer, MEAL officer and CSO’s staff
Background, Experience & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Animal Science/Animal Production, Veterinary Medicine, Agricultural Economics or relevant field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 6 years of experience in program management, livestock’s production and/or value-chain activities in developing countries. Experience in Nigeria and particularly the North East will be a bonus.
- Demonstrated experience in designing and implementing poultry projects and hatchery management in rural and peri-urban settings.
- Demonstrated experience in training design, development of training curriculum, delivery and mentoring in subject matter relevant to this position.
- Experience with the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of sustainable agriculture development and food security expecailly GIZ project.
- Experience with market development approaches such as poultry/livestock’s and agricultural value-chain development (linking producers to markets) programming.
- Previous experience carrying out and using the results of technical capacity assessments in the areas of poultry production, value-chain development, hatchery management, food security and related fields.
- Strong team player with the ability to take initiative and work well independently.
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills in English, Hausa and Kanuri language.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, discretion, tact, and diplomacy.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Travel Required 60% to field locations in Borno and Adamawa
Key Working Relationships
- Internal: Program Manager II, MEAL Country Coordinator, MEAL Officer, Project Officer and GIZ Program Manager
- External: Government ministries departments and agencies, local and international NGOs, coordination platforms and working groups, community leaders
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
- These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
What we Offer
- CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
Application Closing Date
22nd May, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualifie candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.