Mercy Corps Nigeria
BE THE FIRST TO GET LATEST JOB ALERTSEnter your email address to subscribe to latest Jobs notifications via your email
CLICK HERE TO JOIN OUR WHATSAPP GROUP FOR LATEST JOBS UPDATES
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Procurement Assistant
Reference Number: ABV/OPS/2019/0047
Position Status: Full-time, Regular
Program / Department Summary
- The Procurement Department is committed to implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in the purchase of goods and services.
- The overriding objective for all Mercy Corps procurement activity is the prompt and effective provision of materials and services to Mercy Corps’ beneficiary populations in compliance with donor specifications.
General Position Summary
- The Procurement Assistant is responsible for facilitating the procurement aspects of Mercy Corps’ logistic operation. Working closely with Programs, Administration, Finance and Logistics, the Procurement Assistant is instrumental in supporting program activities through his / her services.
Essential Job Functions
- Daily coordination of MC procurement activities.
- Has a full understanding of MC procurement policies and formats. Assists, as needed in training staff on these policies.
- Assists staff as needed on creating clear and understandable purchase requests and other documentation.
- Collects quotations and bids from the market for PR’s as assigned by the Operations Officer – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats.
- Interact with Vendors during collection of quotations – explain Mercy Corps formats and ensure that vendors will use the provided forms.
- Ensure fair competition and strictly adhere to MC procurement rules regarding vendor relations as described below:
- Always accord prompt and courteous reception and fair and equal treatment to all vendors / suppliers and their representatives.
- Provide equal opportunity for vendors/suppliers to make price and specification quotations.
- Guarantee the confidentiality of all specifications and price quotations made by vendors / suppliers.
- Decline to take advantage of vendors / suppliers’ errors, and show consideration for vendors / suppliers’ difficulties by co-operating with them whenever possible.
- Avoid subjecting vendors / suppliers to needless expense or inconvenience when requesting quotations or returning goods.
- Explain as clearly and fully as possible to vendors / suppliers the reason(s) for the rejection of their bids / proposals.
- Remain scrupulously free of obligations to any vendor / supplier.
- Remain informed about sources of supply, methods, services and materials and encourage vendors / suppliers to test and develop improved or expanded products and services.
- Inform vendors / suppliers about current and anticipated requirements.
- If, for any reason, one vendor / supplier is permitted to re-quote (submit a revised quotation), all competitors should be given the same opportunity. Re-quoting should be kept to an absolute minimum.
- Prepare the required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed to MC standards.
- Prepare and Maintain the PR Master list.
- Responsible for filing and archiving of procurement documents
- Assist Operations and office staff with procurement activities, as required.
- Identify assets during the course of procurement and notify the Asset Controller on receipts of assets.
- The Procurement Assistant will conduct himself / herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
Knowledge and Experience
- Degree in a relevant Business field is desired.
- Minimum 1 year experience in supply chain management; international business or related field.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
- Good oral and written English skills.
- Good computer skills on MS Office programs, especially in MS Excel, MS Word
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action as to not delay program activities.
- A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Supervisory Responsibility: None
- Reports Directly To: Operations Officer
- Works Directly With: MEL, Programs, Finance and Operations team
- Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
- Conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel
- Good spoken and written English
- Computer literate and strong organizational skills.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: [email protected]
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal employment opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.