BE THE FIRST TO GET LATEST JOB ALERTSEnter your email address to subscribe to latest Jobs notifications via your email
CLICK HERE TO JOIN OUR WHATSAPP GROUP FOR LATEST JOBS UPDATES
Canonical – We deliver open source to the world faster, more securely, and more cost-effectively than any other company. We develop Ubuntu, the world’s most popular enterprise Linux from cloud to edge, together with a passionate global community of 200,000 contributors. Ubuntu means ‘humanity to others. We chose it because it embodies the generosity at the heart of open source, the new normal for platforms and innovation. Together with a community of 200,000, we publish an operating system that runs from the tiny connected devices up to the world’s biggest mainframes, the platform that everybody uses on the public cloud, and the workstation experience of the world’s most productive developers. Secure and reliable, elegant and intuitive, and open for innovation – Ubuntu is the future of open source, which is why it’s the fastest-growing Linux in the world despite already being the most widely deployed.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Distributed Systems Golang Engineer
- Scale-out distributed systems are perhaps the most challenging class of software today. Canonical, the publisher of Ubuntu, is a leader in open source infrastructure and operations, and a number of our products and open source projects address the needs of complex and mission critical distributed systems capabilities. As an early Golang adopter we have many developers who focus on these problems, and we are growing our investment in these products.
- This is a central application point for multiple teams, all of which use Golang to build highly concurrent, performance-critical distributed systems. Some of these products are in the realm of infrastructure where deep knowledge of the Linux kernel would also be valuable, others at the application layer where web services and micro-service architecture, event systems, REST APIs and other RPC capabilities are important.
- Applicants to this track are interviewed by a senior team at Canonical for technical roles across the company. Successful candidates will be offered a set of engineering leadership opportunities matched to their strengths and interests, to start their career at Canonical.
What will it take to be a technical lead at Canonical?
- To be successful in this application you will need to show proven exceptional results at maths and sciences. You must also have proven yourself to be an outstanding software engineer at some layer of the open source stack. This particular Fast Track is for engineers who do not want management responsibility but are strong technical leads – we have separate tracks for folks who want management roles.
- You will need to show that you have a gift for software design and implementation, and enjoy contributing to a highly professional environment with careful choices of technology, architecture, data design, and user interface. You should have broad-based knowledge of Linux, networking, software development, databases, API design and possibly web presentation layers.
- As a lead you must demonstrate insight into performance and quality engineering practices in your field, and show how you have helped teams embrace effective disciplines on both fronts. You also need an understanding of security practices and principles and the impact that engineering choices have on product security.
- We care about how usable our products are, and that starts with documentation. You must have experience producing well-documented products and working with design professionals to shape the product. You should have clearly articulated views on the ways engineering practices influence product outcomes, not just technically but in open source communities and in the marketplace.
- It is an advantage to be able to point to open source work of your own which demonstrates these strengths.
- This is a role for leadership, architecture, design and mentorship. It may require periods of coding to establish key frameworks, APIs or interfaces. You should relish the opportunity to write code while being most interested in helping an engineering team produce a great product that will be a pleasure to use and to evolve.
- We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity we will give your application fair consideration.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online