United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
BE THE FIRST TO GET LATEST JOB ALERTSEnter your email address to subscribe to latest Jobs notifications via your email
CLICK HERE TO JOIN OUR WHATSAPP GROUP FOR LATEST JOBS UPDATES
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Data Entry Assistant, Knowledge Hub
Job ID: 38755
Practice Area – Job Family: Internship – Data Entry
Vacancy Type: Internship
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 06 Months
- The Knowledge Hub unit within UNDP Nigeria established to enhance its ability to make timely and evidence- based interventions, particularly in areas of Preventing and Responding to Violent Extremism, conflict prevention and human security.
- A new type of ‘development intelligence gathering’, i.e. continuous monitoring and data collection, is crucial to inform UNDP’s work for early warning, adjust interventions to maximize preventive efforts and initiate new thematic approaches. Trend analyses and ad-hoc policy briefs will also inform interventions of UNDP’s development partners in this field.
- Through harnessing the potential offered by both old and new sources of data, it is UNDP’s hope that the accuracy and precision of its development responses are increased and a strong foundation for meaningful public policy making, efficient resource allocation and effective public service delivery is created.
- The ultimate objective of the Knowledge Hub is to harness data, including real time data, for development through providing evidence-based intelligence that can be translated to meaningful policies and planning for development impact. Reporting to the UNDP Nigeria RR’s Office, the Knowledge Hub consist of three complementary sub-Units that work in mutual complementarity, cross-pollination and strong collaboration, which is required because of the highly specialized individual expertise in each of the sub-units. Data Analysis Unit of the Knowledge Hub, which focuses on collection of primary data, establishment and maintenance of a database of ‘development intelligence’, the analysis of the data collected as well reporting of the results.
- This recruitment is for a Data Entry Intern who will be part of the Data Analysis unit within the Hub. The purpose of this internship is to support the unit with data extraction, data entry, analysis and research activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The intern performs activities related to database management, data collection and cleaning, maintenance of data integrity and security, and basic statistical analyses as well as research. The Intern will facilitate the creation and enhancement of datasets. Such duties may include cleaning, creating, and linking datasets.
- The Intern may assist with research also movement of data across multiple systems, oversee its validation and organization, and ensure that data is available to appropriate people and systems within Knowledge Hub unit.
- Under the direct supervision of the Knowledge Hub Coordinator, the intern will:
- Support with developing, maintaining, and implementing procedures for data entry, data cleaning, linking data, documentation, and other tasks
- Assist in data capture, extraction, and analysis
- Maintain data integrity, and support data analysis, as necessary
- Pull and integrate data from disparate sources
- Implement modeling techniques and tools to support data structure.
- Implement best practices in data management to ensure the integrity of data and quality of data processes.
- Design and write custom applications to ensure databases meet requirements throughout data entry, management, and reporting.
- Define parameters for file or space utilization, if necessary
- Document, implement, maintain, and recommend operating methods to improve collection, cleaning, processing, editing, distribution, and flow, of data.
- Deliver analyzable or analyzed data to internal and external stakeholders
- Assist with research
- Assist team members with queries, simple statistical analyses, report generation, and technical difficulties related to data retrieval.
- Assist with writing and preparing manuscripts and other materials for internal and external audiences
- Summarizes large volumes of encounter data in analytical reports that include tables and graphs for management review and use.
- Perform any other tasks as may be assigned from time to time.
Required Skills and Experience
Preferred area of study:
- Current Education studies of student, e.g. Statistics, Economics, Communications or International Relations.
- Applicant must be enrolled in a Degree programme in a Graduate school (second university degree or higher), Statistics, Economics, preferably in Journalism, Communications, Development or International Relations, at the time of application and during the internship (if a candidate is graduating before the internship period begins, they are no longer eligible); or
- Have completed at least four years of full-time studies at a university or equivalent institution towards the completion of a degree, if pursuing their studies in countries where higher education is not divided into undergraduate and graduate stages.
- Knowledge and experience with SQL and database management
- Be computer literate in standard software applications.
- Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter.
- Has demonstrated the ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Note: IT Skills such as Proficiency in Microsoft office especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint are highly required.
- Client Orientation
- Planning and organizing
- Technological awareness.
Application Closing Date
1st August, 2021 (Midnight New York, USA).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
The candidates who are shortlisted for an interview must submit prior to the interview the following documents:
- Official letter from the University confirming enrollment in a graduate-level degree programme (and graduation date)
- Copy of school transcript
- Duly completed UNDP Internship Application form (will be sent once notified that they have been shortlisted).
- 2 relevant writing samples.
Before final acceptance, the selected candidate will have to provide the additional documents:
- Letter of endorsement from a senior faculty member who has directly supervised the student in the recent past and who is fully acquainted with the student’s performance;
- A brief paper setting out the reasons why he/she is seeking an internship with UNDP and what is expected from the experience.
- A Medical Certificate of Good Health from a recognized physician. If the intern is expected to travel outside the country of their residence, other than to Europe and North America, the physician must indicate whether he/she is fit to travel and has had the required inoculations for the country or countries to which the intern is to travel;
- Proof of medical and life/accident insurance valid for the location(s) in which the internship will be carried out.
Note: Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.