Mercy Corps Nigeria
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant on Capacity Building in Design & Development of Strong Website for UAS-LCB Radio Patners
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the immediate basic needs of vulnerable communities using community-led and market-driven approaches.
- As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and localized peacebuilding and conflict management.
- Mercy Corps is currently implementing the ‘Using the Airwaves for Stability in the Lake Chad Basin’ program, which focuses on the use of radio as a means to generate constructive public dialogue and debate in order to inform more participatory and effective policies, practices, and communications channels related to reintegration and reconciliation for communities in northeast Nigeria. The program will run until December 2020.
The UAS-LCB Program seeks to:
- Strengthen the capacity of radio partners to engage in ethical and conflict-sensitive journalism practices in a way that generates accurate, transformative, and sustainable radio programming on themes of reintegration and reconciliation
- Strengthen community awareness and understanding of dynamics, developments, and options around reintegration and reconciliation
- Promote opportunities for communities to provide feedback on reintegration and reconciliation that creates greater ownership, participation and sustainable implementation of policies and practices
- Promote localized narratives of peace coexistence aimed at establishing a foundation for effective reintegration and reconciliation
As part of Objective 1, Mercy Corps is seeking to strengthen the capacity of radio partner Dandal Kura Radio International to engage in ethical and conflict-sensitive journalism practices. In order to deliver this objective with quality, Mercy Corps deems it necessary to develop and design a strong website and social media presence for local radio partner Dandal Kura Radio International to meet up with clear competitive demands for a standard media outlet. These services will include:
- Web design
- Editorial support for website
- Upgrading of social media platforms
- Capacity building on web and social media management
Mercy Corps expects that all activities will result in Dandal Kura being able to practically apply the necessary skills for maintaining a good website and social media presence independently and thereby improve their ability to deliver quality peacebuilding programming.
- Consult with the DKRI/UAS-LCB team in order to gain a strong understanding of the objectives and current gaps of the website and social media pages
- Effect the agreed changes related to editorial support, upgrading web design, and improving social media pages
- Design a website and social media management manual to guide continuous updates by Dandal Kura
- Provide training to Dandal Kura on basic web and social media management
- Prepare a Training Report detailing the content and outcomes of the training
Deliverables and Timeframe:
- Assessment of website and social media gaps and recommended improvements
- Updated web and social media pages
- Training materials, including website and social media management manual
- Two-day training on web and social media management
- Training Report
Note: Deadlines to be confirmed upon contracting.
Total Estimated Level of Effort:
- 10 days
Required Experience & Skills
The ideal consultant will have the following experience and skills:
- 8+ years of experience in media and communications
- Demonstrated technical expertise in website design, social media content development, social media marketing, creative designs and editorial support for websites skills
- Established expertise mentoring local media outlets
- Advanced degree in Journalism, Communications, Social Sciences, or other related fields.
- English and Hausa fluency required.
Application Closing Date
31st July, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send the following below documents to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail
- CVs for all relevant team members and organizational profile (if relevant)
- Cover letter, describing at least 3 previous contracts related to editorial support, web design, and social media management.
- Expected daily consultancy rate and availability.